Today we will:
- Discuss how videos go viral and why this even matters.
- We will watch the following TED Talk about the topic, and answer questions about the talk and specific videos that have gone viral.
- We will then move onto social media sites in general and their positive and negative aspects. Students will read an article about Facebook and the usage of this site and discuss questions in pairs.
Your class has had a discussion about the impact that social media has had on our lives, and the advantages and disadvantages associated with this. You have made the notes below:
Ways social media has impacted modern life:
- Companies can use social media to target advertising
- It allows us to easily keep in contact with friends or relations.
- It has made us less productive and lonelier.
Some opinions expressed in the discussion:
- Companies can target customers with products they really need, benefiting both the company and the customer.
- Social media allows people stay in contact with family members all over the country, and the world.
- Social media distracts people from important tasks and inhibits their ability to socialise face to face.
Write an essay discussing TWO of the reasons given regarding the impact of social media on modern life. You should explain which impact is greatest, giving reasons in support of your answer.
You may, if you wish, make use of the opinions expressed in the discussion, but you should use your own words as far as possible. (around 220-260 words)
Today we will:
- Discuss the most exotic places we have been to on holiday and what we did there.
- Watch a video about a particularly exotic place and read a text full of tonnes of great vocabulary and phrases regarding holidays.
- Examine the homework questions (letter to a friend) and look at colourful and exciting language and grammar to really spruce up a dull piece of work.
Letter to friend:
You have recently been travelling in an exotic country. Your friend has written to you because they are thinking about visiting the same place. Write them a letter describing the highlights of your trip, you should also mention any problems you encountered, say whether or not you would recommend the place and give your friend advice for their trip.