Here is the plan for this week.
Today we are going to begin class with a general discussion about the new format of classes. This may be the first time many have had this type of class, so I will be happy to take any questions you may have.
To start the actual lesson, we will discuss generally our week and what we have been up to. In pairs, we are going to practise part 3 of the speaking exam but with a very specific twist:
- Why are these things important to do when in quarantine?
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Arts and crafts
- Subscribe to online streaming services (Netflix/HBO etc)
- Adopt a dog
The following document contains useful expressions or this part of the exam:
After they finish, students will discuss as a group what they think is the best and worst option, and then add their own ideas.
The next activity is a vocabulary guessing game in teams- students give one word clues to help their classmate guess the correct target word. However, there are also prohibited words so you’ll have to think carefully about the clues you give!
To finish the class we will go through the homework for Wednesday. Students are going to plan a two minute presentation about their favourite hobby, sport or activity. To help with the content, here are some ideas about what you might want to include:
- Describe the hobby- What do you do/what is the objective?
- Is it a hobby you can do with other people or individually?
- When did you start this hobby?
- How often do you do this activity?
- Why do you like it so much?
- What will you do in the future with your hobby? E.g. try to become professional, buy a new item to help with your hobby etc.
- Remember to include lots of pictures to show the hobby, and and if you have items at home already, you could also show us directly.
To begin class we are going to play a vocabulary game. Students have to say one word that begins with the last letter of the previous word. For example: Apple –> Elephant –> Television –> Neptune etc.
Following this, students will give their presentations about their favourite hobby. We will also ask and answer at least three questions about each person’s hobby.
Continuing with the theme of hobbies, we will play a Bamboozle to revise hobbies and leisure time activities.
To finish off the lesson, we will go through the homework for next Monday. We are going to study the conditionals, so to maximise speaking time in class, please watch this video at home and complete the worksheet to practise the conditionals.