We will focus on cleft sentences in the first part of today’s class. We will review the explanations from the videos you watched for homework, and then look at a few variations in the following PDF:
Since cleft sentences are useful when speaking and writing, we will work in pairs to complete the sentences in the PDF, as well as the following part 1 speaking questions:
- What sort of job would you most like to have in the future?
- “All I have ever wanted to do was… because…”
- Who is the person that has had the greatest influence on you?
- “The person who has had the greatest influence on me is…because…”
- “It was my…who had the greatest influence on me because…”
- What would you consider to be your greatest achievement?
- “What I would consider to be my greatest achievement is…because…”
- What possible drawbacks could shopping online have?
- “In my opinion, it is…which is the biggest drawback…because…”
- “What I consider to be the biggest drawbacks of online shopping are…”
- Have you ever had a nightmare trip? Why?
- “Oh my god! Absolutely! So, what happened was…”
- What are the advantages and disadvantages to owning a mobile phone?
- “There are so many advantages to owning a mobile phone, but what I would say is the biggest advantage is… because….
- On the other hand, it is…which is the biggest disadvantage. This is because…”
- Would you say you value the opinion of your friends or family more?
- “Obviously both opinions are important, but the one I value more is…because…”
We will complete the following RUE and Listening exam tasks, and finish class with speaking part 3 and 4 exam practice.
- Watch the grammar explanation video on page 150 in preparation of next week’s class.
- Complete exercises 1 and 2 from the vocabulary section on page 150
- Complete the RUE part 2 exam task
- Complete the RUE part 7 exam task
- Answer the essay question